Hi all, the following post is based our team – The Real World next Monday’s (7th Oct, 7pm) Google Hangout activities. #smpro_con
First, I would like to share a youtube describing facts of social media in 2013.
As there are several advantages and disadvantages of social media impact on individual, here I am going to list the main pros and cons.
- Increase communication/ circle with other people – stay up to speed with friends. A good example is facebooks and twitters. Any news or post will be notified to the user, which is much convenient. Also, it is more useful to connect with old friends and colleagues. However, this could be the cons as it will use lots of personal information during the “searching process” on social platform. And will be talked more later.
- Increase work opportunities/ connections – more and more people are trading network sites as application platform, eg, LinkedIn. There are more than 200 million people registered to the LinkdIn, and every second this figure will increase by 4. Not only job seekers, the charm of LinkedIn is that it also could connect to your potential boss. But, yes, it has bad side as well, remember the theory of six degree separation? You and a stranger is only has six “friends’ friend”. Well connect professional network could make your career in danger as well.
- More convenience for reaching news and information – yes, because more organization is trying to reach the public online. As an end customer, social network is the most convenient way to communicate with retailer or your interested organization. You can use social media platform like facebook for recent promotions. It even benefits the pre-sale enquires and after sales services.
- Security risk – identity may be stolen: 8% of social media users share their birth date publicly, 63% share their high school name, 18% share their phone number, 12% share a pet’s name; each of those pieces of information is frequently used for account security verification and can be used for identity theft (1). Also the risks may be increase as computer virus hacking. As mentioned previous, many people store their personal information online, a Trojan horse program, for example, could risk these information, even bank account or credit card. use of some important data by anti social members given by the persons on their profiles. Family picture, for example, pictures of girls are their primary targets for kidnap. And this should be avoided.
- Increase chance to break the law – sometimes people may use social sites to post false information and mislead public, and this could push the person to edge of the law and legislation and endanger the public: On Sep. 5, 2012 false rumors of fires, shootouts, and caravans of gunmen in a Mexico City suburb spread via Twitter and Facebook caused panic, flooded the local police department with over 3,000 phone calls, and temporarily closed schools (2).
Well, seems we should minimize our social media usage guys. That’s it, Thanks all. Welcome comment below for any idea sharing or questions.
- Alexandra Topping, “Social Networking Sites Fuelling Stalking, Report Warns,” http://www.guardian.co.uk, Feb. 1, 2012
- Olga R. Rodriguez, “Mexico Tweets Cause Massive Shootout Panic,” http://www.huffingtonpost.com, Sep. 8, 2012